Recently, a lot of my awesome group members asked me a question on how to come up with clever blog names.
If you aren’t already a member of my community, you can join here and meet like-minded people.
It is definitely difficult (because of all the confusion that surrounds whether it is the best for your brand), but the process need not be cumbersome.
This post may contain affiliate links to products I trust. This means if you make a purchase using the links I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you for the support!
When I started out, I had a niche in my mind. Believe me or not, I knew how my blog should look like.
But, there was one thing which I could not put my finger on – the blog name.
There is nothing more disheartening than spending hours brainstorming the name, only to realize that someone has already taken it.
But, it need NOT this way.
It is a blog name, after all. Don’t beat yourself over it. This post will help you in coming up with clever blog names.
Relevant Links on Blogging
THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN COMING UP WITH CLEVER BLOG NAMES
Do NOT skip over this step. Really, I mean it.
It is worth taking out the time to think about a few questions before you name your blog
- What are you going to write about? Basically, what niche are you targetting? For example, my blog focuses on helping freelance writers in India earn a full-time income and traveling across India.
- Who is your target audience? Again, it is worth to consider who you are writing for.
- What will the tone of your blog? If you are writing for businesses and corporates, your tone will be different than when you are writing about travel or parenting.
- Are you planning to generate income from this blog? This is a million dollar question, literally! If you are looking to build a brand around your blog, take time and re-consider all your answers.
Reminds of what Katie from Orb Online says…
“Brand is one of the most important things when starting a blog or any website, that name stays with you, everything you do is to build that name so it has to be something you’ll look back on as a great choice!”
—- FREEBIE —-
Download this guide and grab a 5 step plan to launching a profitable online business from home along with several other BONUSES
HOW TO COME UP WITH CLEVER BLOG NAMES
Use a thesaurus:
A quick look at a thesaurus can give you a million ideas. One my favorites tools is OneLook, an online thesaurus that can help you find the right words. I searched for “strong” and see how many options came up.
You can also filter them using the options available above. For example, if you are looking to rhyme it with a particular, just type it in and there you go!
Use a blog name generator:
This seems like a no-brainer, right? Wordoid is a great tool to play around with fun word combinations. Just fill in your requirements on the left side and see a list of clever blog names on the right-hand side.
One of the other benefits of using Wordoid is it shows whether .com, .net, .in etc is available or not.
Saves time, right?
Consider a different language:
Grab my profitable work at home kit which will help you plan every step of the way along with freebies that will help in time management and much more.
To many people, this will sound absurd. But, a few languages, like Latin, Hindi etc are incredibly beautiful languages that can give you words that feel like butter.
Look, there are a million blogs already. Coming up with clever blog names that are abstract or fun to remember can go a long way in drawing attention to your blog. You can either Google a certain word and look for its counterpart in other languages or just open up Google Translator and start off
Remember not to pick up a tongue twister! Your blog name should be easy to remember, spell and pronounce.
If you are finding this blog helpful, go ahead and bookmark this or pin this
Research on keywords
Naming your blog after a keyword could fetch you organic traffic in the long run.
Try Google Keyword Tool to look for words that are commonly searched by your audience. For example, if you are looking to start a blog on traveling in India, put that in and see what comes in.
Keep an eye on the number of searches per keyword and pick up a keyword that has 10k or up searches.
Choose your own name:
If you have tried everything and still stuck with naming your blog, consider naming it after yourself. Many successful bloggers have their blogs named after themselves. It helps create a personal connection right at the beginning.
PICK SOMETHING AND GO FOR IT
If you are planning for a blog and stuck with the name for a long time, just chill. Pick up anything and go for it.
You can always tweak your name later so dive in already.
Remember, broadly, you have a choice to make between two (1) Branding as yourself and creating a personal connection a from the start and (2) a clever blog name that is different, memorable and attractive.
Now, that you are ready with the name, here are a few resources that can help you with further steps
- How to create a WordPress blog with Bluehost – This post is a step by step guide on how to buy hosting and set up your WordPress blog.
- Grow your freelance writing income – A FREE 7-day e-course that will take you through each and every step that helped me make $1000 in less than 3 months
- 10 ways to land freelance writing clients as a beginner
Have any other concerns or questions about how to come up with a clever blog name? Comment below and I will take out the time to create an informative post for you.
Recommended tools for blogging for beginner moms wanting to work at home –
- You can start a blog with as little as $3.95 a month or Rs. 276 a month or go with the free options. However, I do not recommend using free options. You can read more about it here
- Ready Set Blog for traffic – It is an EXTREMELY underpriced course on how to make money with a blog for beginners. It tells you how to set up your blog, use Pinterest and implement SEO strategies. Using her tips, I have been able to rank on page 1 of Google. You can read my first income report here.
- TSA – They are a bunch of resources by the owner of theSheApproach. Her books are amazing and filled with great information. You can get affordable (and, many of them are free as well) on affiliate marketing, boosting traffic, and Pinterest strategies.
Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)
- Stupid Simple SEO (FREE COURSE) – It is the best investment I have made in the blog land. Take Mike’s course, apply it on your blog and you can see the results pouring it.
- FREE SEO lessons (video) – If you’re looking for video classes on SEO, you cannot miss out what Lena has to tell you.
Pinterest (DO NOT MISS THIS!)
- Take this FREE Pinterest class by Cate Rosales.
- Pinteresting Strategies – This is an affordable course that tells you how to use (and, how NOT to use) Pinterest to drive traffic. Using this, I have been able to get a 200% increase in traffic within 2 months.
- PinterestNinja – Well-known bloggers stand by this course, and I am going to be investing in it myself sometime soon. Check it out here
- Affiliate marketing for bloggers – The ONLY resource I have used, which taught me everything required. I also understood a lot of things that I were doing wrong and could have been dinged by Google. Thank god!
- Affiliate marketing simplified by Cate Rosales is one of the BEST courses I have come across. If you are thinking of investing in one, this should be it.